Dermatology offices are asked this question almost every day, and it’s possible that you too have wondered, “What is so special about the skin around my eyes and why should I purchase another product for such a small area?”
The answer can be found in examining what actually makes the skin of this area so unique.
First, and possibly the most important reason, is the eye area is the first place on the face to show the earliest signs of aging. Plus, eye area skin is very thin and fine textured, so it will absorb more of the active ingredients in skin care products, which can make a remarkable change in how the skin looks right away. For that reason alone, selecting an eye cream recommended by your dermatologists’ office would be a wise investment, but….
You need to know what to look for. Eye cream ingredients that are essential:
- Hyaluronic Acid for hydration because it plumps out crinkled, dry skin
- Antioxidants like Green Tea Polyphenols for anti aging (oxidation/damage protection)
- Caffeine, Vitamin K and Arnica to help puffiness, redness,and the dreaded dark circles.
- Dimethicone and Acrylates to smooth out the surface appearance of the eyelid skin
- Retinol increases production of collagen fibers within the dermis, restoring elasticity and improving fine lines (consult with your dermatologist re frequency of use)
- Epidermal Growth factors in high concentration have shown to stimulate skin growth at the cellular level
- Of course you always need sun protection on top of your eye cream or this area will really wrinkle as time goes.
Of most importance, get as much input as possible from your dermatologist office so that the right product for your skin is selected, and of course, maintain consistency of use. This will result in the most beautiful outcome.