Today, virtually every case of acne in the Orange County area can be resolved. Typically acne is treated with the simplest topical and/or oral treatments which are deemed effective. Dr. Sikorski will assess your acne severity and recommend the appropriate and most quickly effective regimen.
Are you ready to improve your appearance?
Acne Management Tips
- Gentle skin cleansing is encouraged: Mild soaps (ie Dove, Oil of Olay for Sensitive Skin, Cetaphil, Phisoderm, Purpose, Neutrogena) may be used to cleanse the skin. Scrubbing with washcloths, Buff-Puffs, and any cleanser that contains abrasives of any type as these can worsen acne, and contribute to scarring. Avoid soaps with deodorant and anti-bacterial claims such as Dial, Zest, Coast, Irish Spring, Safeguard – and Noxzema and Ivory – these seem to contribute to worsening of acne.
Product Ingredients which aggravate Acne
If your skin gets clogged easily then you are at more risk from using those ingredients. Here are the main ones to look out for:
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Myristyl Myristate Lanolin
- Cocoa Butter
- Flax Oil
- Octyl Palmitate, Octyl Stearate
- Linseed Oil
- D & C Red and Orange colors
- Isostearyl Alcohol
- Mink Oil
- Peanut Oil
- Palmitic Acid
- Mineral Oil (potential problem for some, not all)
Other factors that Influence Acne
- Birth control pills may affect the skin and you may see a change in the amount of breakouts
- Medicines containing bromides and diodides, as found in cold remedies, can cause breakouts
- Barbiturates and amphetamines can cause acne type lesions
- If you have a predisposition to acne it is wise to screen your vitamins for Kelp, seaweed or straight iodine (potassium iodide) and eliminate from your diet (avoid Shellfish)
- Steroids can be a cause of breakouts
- Stress influences and aggravates acne breakouts, so often you think this is major stress, when it is in fact simply just “being uptight”
- Menstruation, pregnancy and menopause, all of these can cause skin problems including acne
- Harsh drying substances and over exfoliation
- High humidity can trigger breakouts
- UV radiation, contrary to what many acne sufferers believe, the sun actually makes matters worse, this is due to the inflammatory effect that happens within the skin
- Food sensitivities, dairy can often cause skin problems in some Orange County patients
Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology for the Greater Orange County Area.
Dr. Sikorski offers cosmetic & dermatology procedures to patients in all Orange County communities, including Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Irvine, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano. Schedule your own consultational appointment today!